in a town so small is all about going for walks. as more walks go on, other ones will end up here.
1. let love in – this was the first walk i blogged about. inspired by nick cave’s album of the same name.
2. angel meadow – a response – a reflection on some thoughts from my previous walk. interesting history bits.
3. autumnal reflections – thoughts about the season. some lovely photos of angel meadow once again.
4. back home – falling back in love with the city on return from south america.
5. observations – not a walk. quite self indulgent.
6. pictures in winter – minehead in december. faded light and faded glamor.
7. the dream – public art on a massive scale in st. helens. peace by the motorway.
8. down by the bay – a wander around cardiff bay. architecture and optical illusion art.
9. wrapped up in books – a final trip around manchester central library. a wonderful space.
10. the first days of spring – the days the sun came to manchester. all saints park and canal walking.
11. eurocultured + dot to dot in photos – two festivals in one day. photos of all the bands i saw.
12. dancing about architecture – forgotten architecture in bradford. another odeon at risk.
13. the department of forgotten songs – reflections on outdoor activities in manchester. city love.
14. the winter of mixed drinks – writings elsewhere about ale and architecture.
15. the sound of the underground – underground manchester. great experience, shame about the guide.
16. get out of the city, and into the sunshine – escaping the city. hills, pubs, chickens and a goat.
17. race for the prize – manchester blog award nomination. which is very nice.
18. wooden ships – big, old boats. a trip to portsmouth to see the historic dockyard.
19. number one – new build, with additional ‘art.’ the strange case of number one, first street, manchester.
20. farewell library walk – a tribute to my favourite street in manchester. it’s splendid curvature won’t be seen for two years.
21. in defence of the library – the first of my libraries week posts.
22. john rylands library, deansgate – a walk around one of, if not the most beautiful buildings in manchester. an inspiring place.
23. city library, manchester – manchester’s temporary library whilst the central library undergoes a massive facelift.
24. the librarian’s dress was a fawnish shade of grey – thoughts on being a librarian. i very nearly did follow this career path.
25. the portico library, manchester – a real hidden gem right in the centre of the city.
26. victory of ghosts – a look at the graveyards which is the origin princess street building site.
27. meet me in the garden – parsonage gardens, manchester city centre’s hidden green space. the city really lacks places like this.
28. sketches from manchester international festival – a few sketches (yes, images instead of words!) from mif2012.
29. world book night – a few words on why world book night is great.
30. interior lightning – details of a fantastic group exhibition i am involved in.
31. autumn sweater – the least autumnal walk i have had in autumn. bright sunshine and yorkshire hillsides.
32. sometimes in the middle of the night, in that building – where better to start considering sheffield than park hill. does urban splashing brutal modernism really work?
33. fake empire – a year in art – 2011, the year i got into art. a selection of my favourite shows of the year.
34. sky phenomenon – writing on writing being like pictures.
35. too sick to pray: sheffield cholera monument – an enduring monument looking out across the city.
36. museums sheffield : the arts council funding fallout – a consideration of the dark future facing sheffield’s museums and arts after the loss of arts council england support.